ACTION ITEMS FROM OUR GATHERING
- ENGAGE MILLENIALS THROUGH DEMOCRACY NC: SIGN UP ON THEIR SITE TO RECEIVE WEEKLY SOCIAL MEDIA PACKS #3D #HOTVOTE *see below for details
- SIGN PETITION FOR EARLY VOTING AT DEMOCRACY NC https://campaigns.organizefor.org/petitions/tell-the-north-carolina-board-of-elections-to-support-early-voting/?bucket=DemNC
- VISIT OUR devcopy.politicanc.org WEBSITE AND GIVE US FEEDBACK
- WRITE TO YOUR LEGISLATORS TO INFORM THEM THAT YOU SUPPORT NONPARTISAN REDISTRICTING AND WANT THEM TO SUPPORT IT AS WELL (ADDRESS LOOK UP AT NCLEG.NET)
- OPEN POLITICANC FACEBOOK PAGE AND INVITE 5-10 OF YOUR FRIENDS TO “LIKE” IT
EARLY VOTING & VOTER REGISTRATION
EARLY VOTING PLANS: A majority of the 100 county boards passed early voting plans without controversy that received unanimous board support. But about of a third of the 100 counties have plans that were not passed unanimously and thus require the State Board of Elections to resolve the dispute. Among the counties in dispute are Lenoir, Watauga, and Cumberland.
The State Board will hold hearings next Thursday, September 8, on each of the disputed county plans.
Learn more by reading these two articles:
The NC State Board of Elections has provided an on-line form for comments on one-stop early voting plans. Please take a moment and let them know what you think about their reduction in access. Thanks for sending this our way, George. You will find the form here:
VOTER REGISTRATION: We now offer “individual on-site” training as well as group training. Please check out www.youcanvote.org/events for our events scheduled in Wake County. Check back regularly as new drives are being booked all the time.There is still much work to be done on Voter Registration. When we register we also educate and we have much new information to share.
STEP BY STEP REVIEW OF REPUBLICAN STRATEGY TO CREATE THE “MONSTER” VOTER LAW
Thanks for sharing, Lynn. This one of the most comprehensive overviews of the process to date.
For a view of the NATIONAL REPUBLICAN STRATEGY TO DIMINISH VOTER PARTICIPATION, read this article. Thanks for submitting it, Carol.
WORKING THE POLLS, INSIDE & OUT
SIGN UP TO BE A VOTE PROTECTOR!!
Nonpartisan: Democracy North Carolina trains and deploys volunteers to monitor key precincts in counties all over the state on Election Day. Clad in yellow t-shirts, these Vote Protectors:
collect exit surveys,
compile reports of voting problems,
connect voters to attorneys and law students at our voter hotline (888-OUR-VOTE) at the UNC-Chapel Hill School of Law.
Sign up below if you’re interested in receiving more information about how to become a Vote Protector for the November 2016 election. We will contact you with details about upcoming trainings and opportunities to help voters in your community cast their ballot and make their voice heard. http://org2.salsalabs.com/o/6601/p/salsa/web/common/public/signup?signup_page_KEY=9743
DID YOU KNOW?
· You can now view your sample ballot online https://vt.ncsbe.gov/voter_search_public/
· If you are interested in working Early Voting, or if you have a friend who is interested, there is still time to apply online! (If you have already applied, no need to reapply.) Learn more about applying to work Early Voting at http://www.evwakestaffing.com/p/learn.html
Democracy NC is officially launching #3D (Digital Democracy Defenders) next week and encouraging everyone with a social account to sign up to help share voting information online ==> http://demnc.co/3d
#3D will help voting rights advocates:
1. social-proof their posts (fostering trust by posting individually vs. as an org)
2. amplify our voices
3. increase pressure on targets, such as the governor, the legislature
4. go hyperlocal with our voting messages, information and resources
5. broaden our base (with younger audiences)